Friday, August 13, 2010

The Stoning of Soraya M.


The Stoning of Soraya M.

Next to the The Passion of Christ, I cannot think of another tale that has moved me more in such a way as the story of The Stoning of Soraya M.. Putting aside the polemics surrounding Christ’s crucifixion, the evidence behind the stoning of Soraya should never be disputed when especially considering the fact that stonings are still taking place around the world today. As one woman on IMDb’s forum writes, “I have been in Muslim countries where it does. I also have several friends from Iran that have spoken of the fear they lived in as women in their village, of being spoken about, of being talked about. No woman should live in fear.”(link here), there is no denying the outright brutality that still exists.

In the meanwhile, I have felt more in sorrow than in anger for humanity from watching the film, and when I am reminded of the challenge of redemption for us well-to-do individuals who still live in a well protected cossetted life, I think of Soraya and the countless women who have fallen before and after her. I hope everyone will put some time aside to view the title and/or read the book and experience the passions of Soraya.

For more information, you can visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stoning_of_Soraya_M.

You can purchase the movie here.

You can buy the book here.

No comments: